Saturday, September 4, 2010

Delphi For Android - Sneak Preview

I love programming in Delphi, it was the first Windows development tool that I used after coming from QBASIC and Turbo Pascal 7.0 on MS-DOS (with my old 386SX machine, 2.1GB HD, 6MB RAM).

This is a sneak preview on what I've been working on for the last 2 months... This tool allow you to write Android mobile phone applications using Delphi.

In the first Youtube video I show how you can place a button (TButton) and then call a Android library method to display a message, run the compiler from the command line (its called "dccdroid.exe") and run within the Android emulator.

Tool has been tested with Delphi 6.0, 7.0, 2005, 2006 and 2010.

So how does it work?

The tool is written in C# with Visual Studio.Net 2008. It reads the Delphi form layout (dfm) and then create the XML layout file (main.xml), it then port the Pascal code over to a middle layer that is in Java. Note that it doesn't do 100% conversion to Java but part of the project is in Java.

The full Android (Java) solution get created.
You don't access the Android API directly but by using libraries.

When will it become available?

Can't say for now since am only working on this part time at night and over weekends. It will be a commercial product for sure.

What is my progress?

I'm currently working on the tool's core that allow me to easily add additional controls (TEdit and TLabel I already implemented) together with there properties, events etc. Also to be able to write your own libraries to use the Android API.

Video - Sneak preview 1:

Here I place 2x buttons (TButton) on the Form and write OnClick event handlers for both to display a pop up message.



Running on the phone:

To confirm that it actually do run on your phone and not just in the Android emulator, use this Q-code to download and run the sample on your phone.

Also to tease you more I've included the source code for both Delphi and the generated code (in Test folder).

NOTE: I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE LOST OF LIVE, DAMAGE ETC TO YOUR PHONE BUT ON THAT NOTE YOU CAN TRUST ME SINCE THIS IS A VALID DOWNLOAD THAT WILL NOT KILL YOU OR CONTAIN A VIRUS.

Donation:

As a contractor a donation would be nice since that will help me to spend more time (time = money as a contractor) to work on it.








1 comment:

intelmib said...

Congratulations for the initiative

I started reading the topics

starting with this

I'm from Brazil

and use the google translator to post my happiness with the topic